Racoon Fun Facts
- In the 1700s, people would hunt raccoons and eat raccoon meat (taste like chicken?). They used the raccoon skins to make clothing. Many wore “coonskin” caps.
- In the 1920s, raccoon fur coats were in fashion and women wore fancy raccoon hats.
- Raccoons are at least as smart as dogs and cats.
- A raccoon can easily lift a dime out of a shirt pocket with its fingers.
- The heaviest raccoon weighed 62 pounds.
- The oldest raccoon lived for 21 years.
- Raccoons hiss, whistle, scream, and growl.
- When raccoons are calling to each other, they often use a vocalization that sounds similar to the whistle of a screech owl.
- Raccoons are more likely to be killed by an automobile than by another predator.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.