Serving Mercer, Ocean, Monmouth, Somerset, & Middlesex County
This property manager of an adult community in Hamilton Township, NJ recently had an issue with squirrels destroying their main office building. Previously, we safely retrieved the squirrels and relocated them to a new, humane location, but the damage they did was quite extensive! They literally chewed out the crown molding on the window! Fortunately, we can not only safely remove the invasive wildlife, we can repair the damage they inflict as well!
First, we measured the crown molding and then cut sturdy, metal flashing to the measurements. Next, we installed it, secured it in place with screws, and sealed it in place with a waterproof, premium adhesive. We offered to paint the area so that the material blends in with the crown molding, but the property manager told us that his maintenance team will do that. Now that the area is repaired, the community will no longer have an issue with squirrels or any other nuisance wildlife invading the office.
A Cowleys wildlife control team was dispatched to a home in New Egypt. This homeowner had a family of raccoons that had nested in his attic, apparently for quite a long time.
Fortunately, there was no longer an active infestation — the raccoons were long gone. However, the attic was a toxic mess from all their urine and droppings. While the pungent odor of animal waste wafting through your house is a problem, the real concern is the health hazard.
Cowleys wildlife control technicians are trained not only in trapping and excluding wildlife from homes and commercial buildings, but also in safely sanitizing and deodorizing those areas that have been infested.
This homeowner in Princeton Junction, NJ had suspected that she had squirrels in her attic, so she called Little Rascals to come out and inspect. When we arrived and inspected the roof, we found a chewed-out area by the soffit as well as squirrel hair stuck in it. If that wasn't enough, when we inspected the attic, we actually found the squirrel running around!
Since the chewed-out area was how the squirrel got in, we temporarily closed off the area with hardware cloth, installed a one-way device directly over the access point, and set up several baited devices nearby. The one-way allows the squirrel to safely leave the attic but prevents it from getting back in.
A short while later, we safely retrieved the squirrel! We then relocated it to a new, humane environment, disinfected the attic, and sealed up the soffit area with sturdy metal flashing.
This homeowner in Princeton Junction, NJ, wanted his crawl space encapsulated, so he called Cowleys and we were sent out to perform the job.
Once we entered the crawl space we removed all the contaminated insulation and debris, leveled the ground for proper draining, and installed a drainage matting. This material is a dimpled plastic mat that allows all excess moisture to work its way over the sump pump. Once we finished, we installed a vapor barrier which is a heavy-duty, 20-mil 7-ply sandwich of high and low-density polyethylene with a polyester-cord reinforcement. It cannot tear and is extremely durable. The vapor barrier is also treated with an antimicrobial to prevent mold and is installed over the foundation walls and floor to create a continuous air and moisture barrier.
Next, we installed SilverGlo™, which is a waterproof foam insulation that seals the walls from outside moisture and humidity, to the walls of the crawl space. Lastly, we installed a Sani-Dry Sedona commercial-grade dehumidifier to control the humidity levels. The Sedona directs the extracted water pulled out of the air directly into the sump pump. Now the homeowner has a transformed crawl space that is clean and dry and can be utilized for additional storage space.
This homeowner in Princeton, NJ found herself with bats nesting under the fascia leaving guano (the excrement of birds and bats) deposits all over the deck. Bat guano happens to be an excellent organic fertilizer because of its high nitrogen and phosphorus, but it is also a health hazard. Bat and bird guano can contain numerous pathogens including a fungus that causes histoplasmosis, a serious chronic lung disease, and exposure, Including breathing in these airborne particles, is dangerous for homeowners. Also, bats are major carriers of rabies. Bat infestations need to be removed and professional experienced in excluding bats from nesting in your home should be brought in. This is not a DIY project and you should not be working in a bat-contaminated area without proper protective equipment. For this home, I completely covered the fascia with a metal barrier to keep them from roosting in and between the fascia board.